Top 6 WordPress Backup Plugins to Secure Your Blog
As a blogger, it is essential to back up your blog even your site content as a whole. Back up plugins secure your site in the event of a crash, error, hack, malware, or virus. These also allow you to restore your site if it has been taken down due to hosting issues or if the hosting company has gone out of business.
The Association of Bloggers has been around since 2010 and is a top rated resource for bloggers and content creators. WordPress is one of the most prominent content management systems (CMS) online for blogs, product or services, images, digital assets, and other content. It has a large community and power up over 28% of all websites.
And one of the best ways to keep your blogs safe is to create a backup using a WordPress plugin. A WordPress backup service helps you prevent possible headaches later on.
Before we dive into the list, we’ll give you quick guide questions when using a WordPress backup plugin:
- What backup plugin are you using?
- Where are your files stored?
- How often do you need to back up your site?
- How many backups do you need to keep?
- How many files are you willing to lose?
- Can your storage be enough to handle your backup?
Now that you have assessed your need for a site backup, let’s discuss the top 6 WordPress plugins that can help your blogging experience to a greater height.
1. UpdraftPlus for backing up your WordPress Blog – Free
UpdraftPlus is one of the popular WordPress plugins in the market. With its easy-to-use feature, more than 2 million website users, the plugin allows users to create a complete backup of your WordPress site. You can store it on the cloud or download it to your computer
- Runs everywhere that WordPress runs
- Backs up your site up to 100GB
- Backs up non-WordPress files and external databases
- Schedule your backup in manual or automated mode
- Incremental backups can be scheduled hourly
- Compatible with WPMU/WordPress Network multiple sites
- With encrypted backup support for more security
- With a wide array of remote storage options like Google Drive, Dropbox, and Amazon Web Services (AWS)
It has a free version. However, you can use the premium version to unlock other powerful features for your site.
2. VaultPress (Jetpack Backup) – Free
This premium plugin is an automated backup service by Automattic. The plugin initially launched as VaultPress but was redesigned and rebranded under the name of Jetpack Backup.
It automatically saves the changes in your WordPress website without slowing it down. VaultPress (Jetpack Backup) offers automated daily and real-time backup solutions to restore the recent version in one click.
- Easy-to-use plugins with one-click restore
- Restore from anywhere through mobile app or desktop
- Restore files even your site is offline
- backup all files like database backups and file backups
- Backup all WooCommerce customers and order data
- Quickly restore in any points
- Migrate your site to any host
- No developer required
You can also access the activity log and see the changes that happened on your site. It’s totally free for the recent 20 events or a 30-day and 1-year archive for a paid plan.
3. Backup Buddy by iThemes
Backup Buddy is one of the top premium WordPress backup plugins installed by about half a million users online since 2010.
In just a click, you can conveniently back your website up completely in a WordPress dashboard.
- Easily automate your backup in your chosen schedule
- Sends your backup files in remote locations
- Restore your website faster from backup
- Can repair and optimize your database
- Has an option to clone and migrate your site
One of the benefits of using Backup Buddy includes that this plugin is a non-subscription service. Don’t have to worry about your monthly subscription bill. You can backup multi-sites depending on your plan.
4. WP Time Capsule WordPress Backup plugin for bloggers
WP Time Capsule is a better backup solution if you only want to restore your recent files but not the entire WordPress files. With just one click, WP Time Capsule simply backs up and restores the changes in the site in no time.
- Any changes in your website file automatically trigger backup
- No more backup to remember or to schedule
- An incremental backup solution only backs up changes in the file but the unchanged file remains untouched
- Send your backup file in the cloud services you choose
- Backing up in real-time
- Only changes are backed up so you can save spaces in your storage
With just recent changes or the latest updates are stored, you can save considerable space in your WordPress storage with no zipping or duplicating of files involved. You also have the option to try a staging environment where you can test your website.
5. BackWPup WordPress Backup Plugin for Bloggers
BackWPup is also one of the popular backup plugins for the WordPress site with 600,000 active users and 5 million downloads worldwide. The best part of, it’s totally free.
It’s an all-in-one WordPress backup solution that offers powerful features. It offers a complete backup of your site, an option to store files through the cloud, migrate your files to a new host, and encrypt all databases and file archives.
- Allows to create WordPress site backup completely free
- Can store your backup file in the cloud such as Amazon S3, Dropbox, Rackspace, etc.
- Very easy to use and automate your backup schedule according to the site’s backup frequency
- Complete database backup solution
- Migrate files in a new domain
- Multiple site support service
6. Duplicator Backup blog plugin for Bloggers
Duplicator is the most powerful migration solution as well as a backup service. It gives WordPress users the ability to duplicate, move, copy, migrate, backup, or clone their site to other domains.
- Move, duplicate clone site in different domains or hosts with no downtime
- Manually backup the whole site or just part of it
- Get the live host site to localhost for development
- Copy a live site into the staging area or vice versa
- Send and store the file in the different cloud services
- Send email notifications to yourself for backup issues and errors
Whether you have a small or large website, check out the features that suit your requirements. If you’re looking for the whole package, go for UpdraftPlus premium features.
If you want to get the best of both UpdraftPlus and VaultPress (Jetpack Backup), get a Backup Buddy plugin solution.
Each WordPress backup plugin has its pros and cons that vary on your blogging needs. If you selected a free plugin or a premium one, the best plugins you choose from the list are at your hands.
Back your blog up today with a WordPress plugin!